3 day Long Weekend Course:
The three-day course takes place in the wilderness of Northern New England. The location is specifically selected for the privacy and safety of our participants and staff and is not disclosed for reasons of safety and confidentiality.
- Day 1: The course begins on Friday morning when participants meet at basecamp for introductions and welcome. Day 1starts at a challenge course where participants will go through a variety of initiatives designed to help them quickly develop the community necessary for a successful backcountry trip.
- Night 1: Participants will sleep in rustic cabins and will prepare their own meals
- Day 2: will start with a hearty breakfast prepared by participants after which we will depart for the trail. Hiking distance ~5 miles.
- Night 2: will be spent in the wilderness under the stars, or if it’s raining, in a tent.
- Day 3: will be another early morning so we can hit the trail and have time for our summit ascent. Hiking distance ~8 miles. We will conclude the day with a debrief, discussion of where we go from here and a celebration of completion. Participants will return to the start point of the course by evening of Day 3.
6 day classic course:
The classic course is a six-day expedition in the wilderness of Northern New England. The location is specifically selected for the privacy and safety of our participants and staff and is not disclosed for reasons of safety and confidentiality.
- Day 1: takes place at a challenge course where participants will spend the day on a specially designed course where they will undertake challenges designed to help them quickly develop community with their course mates to help ensure a smooth wilderness expedition.
- Night 1: will be spent in rustic cabins on site at the challenge course
- Day 2: will begin with a hearty breakfast prepared by the participants after which we will issue and pack gear and food for the duration of our course. After lunch we’ll load the vans and drive to the trailhead.
- Night 2: After hiking ~2 miles, we’ll make camp, cook dinner and sleep in tents or under the stars.
- Days 3-5: Each morning of the hiking section will begin with a hearty breakfast prepared by participants. After breakfast, we’ll break camp, pack up our gear and make a plan for the day. Participants will actively help in route planning, pace setting and camp selection. We’ll eat lunch and snacks on the trail. When we reach camp we’ll set up, relax after a big day and prepare dinner. After dinner we’ll have time for a formal or informal activity as well as unstructured time for other activities or just relaxing. During their expedition, students will learn to map their route, select campsites, cook meals, and make decisions for themselves and the good of the team. This is not a guided trip, but rather an interactive wilderness experience. As a culminating experience, students will plan and execute a challenge. It may be summiting a peak, achieving a certain milestone or going on a solo expedition. Whatever the challenge, we'll be sure to have a big celebration after we complete it.
- Day 6: We’ll pack up camp for the final time and hike 1-3 miles to our designated pick up point where we’ll meet the TVOP van and head back to our start point to deissue gear, make a plan for bringing our experience back home and say our goodbyes. Participants can expect to be off course by 2pm that day.