TRANSGENDER inclusive TRAINING
Many folks already run fantastic outdoor education organizations, school orientation trips, camps, and other adventure experiences. The Venture Out Project offers consulting services to groups and programs who are looking to make their existing programming more inclusive and affirming of LGBTQ+ people. Our goal with our consulting services is to understand your existing programming and populations, review your current practices, policies and language, and create a plan for how you can implement current best practices for providing a safe and affirming educational setting for your staff and participants.
The Venture Out Project is excited to provide staff education and training around the topic of LGBTQ inclusion. We work with colleges, schools and other institutions to develop and deliver a comprehensive and progressive curriculum around gender diversity. The curriculum often begins with a discussion of vocabulary and gender identity/expression and progresses into a more nuanced workshop around the fluid nature of gender and identity, intersectional identities and how to build an affirming culture and community. TVOP's transgender education and workshops always include concrete skills that participants can walk away with such as: creating inclusive application and medical forms, working with gender fluidity and diversity in a residential setting, and modeling gender affirmation.
Our lead trainer, Perry, has many years of experience as a consultant, executive coach and leadership & talent executive. Perry often collaborates and co-facilitates with Meg Bolger of the Safe Zone Project to lead educational workshops. Please contact us for more information about our transgender trainings, workshops, and to hear from some of our clients about the work we do.
Below are sample objectives for a typical one-day workshop:
- Familiarize participants with concepts of gender identity and gender expression
- Explore and discuss normative assumptions around gender and gender identity
- Consider how the implications of these assumptions impact program participants and desired program outcomes
- Review your current policies, forms, and practices from a gender justice framework and suggest revisions that will help you create a more inclusive space
- Practice! - Through role plays, scenarios, and Q&A with TVOP’s staff, participants will get live feedback and practice their new skills.
Some of our clients:
- Colby College
- Darrow School
- Deerfield Academy
- Middlebury College
- Mt. Holyoke College
- OUT Metro West
- School Year Abroad
- Wilderness Medical Associates